Thursday, July 15, 2010

2010 World Series of Poker Wrapup - The Summer that Wasn't.

Where to begin? As I type this I'm 3 hours removed from day 5 of the World Series of Poker Main Event. I had high hopes as I entered day 5 with 1.25x the average and was feeling great, but it wasn't to be as I got two tens in against two kings on KT33 for a 2.5x average pot.

In total I played 34 WSOP events this summer. In 2009 I played 29 events, so needless to say I shattered that figure. This is a product of me becoming more adept at the mixed games, so I played a few more of those. I can say with confidence that I'm gonna be a long term winner in all 34 of those events because there is just so much dead money at the World Series of Poker. The reality is that one summer of live tournaments is such a small sample size. I'll play like 25 tournaments on a single Sunday online. Also, there is such high variance in these things due to the often big buy-ins. These things said, I'm completely at peace with how things went on the summer albeit very frustrated. Even with the miserable series, I'm still a decent overall winner in 2010 thanks almost entirely to my FTOPS win in May.

I managed to cash a career best 5 times on the Series. If you told me I was gonna cash 5 times in 35 events, I would've asked, "Where do I sign?" and written home to Mom about it as I expect to cash at right around that clip. Alas, in tournament poker you need to make very deep runs to cover buy-ins though, and none of my 5 cashes was for more than 4 times that tournament's buy-in. My deepest finish was 17th in the $2000 Limit Hold em event.

This is the first year in the last 4 that I failed to make a WSOP final table, so that's a little disappointing. Of course I still wasn't able to capture my first bracelet. I'm only 25 though and it will come soon enough, and I know that the moment it happens will be magical.

In total, I invested $128,500 this year in buy-ins (slightly less than last year's $131k) and found only $57,344 in cashes. As a result I was a career WSOP-worst $71,156 loser which amounts to a -55% ROI on the summer. My lifetime WSOP numbers are below:

In 2006 I cashed 3 times in 22 events and was a $35,135 loser.

In 2007 I cashed 3 times in 21 events and turned a $5,249 winner.

In 2008 I cashed 4 times in 22 events and turned a $314,498 winner.

In 2009 I cashed 3 times in 29 events and was a $59,600 loser.

In 2010 I cashed 5 times in 35 events and was a $71,156 loser.

In the 5 summers combined, I've invested $453,500 in buy-ins over the 129 events and have cashed for $607,356. This amounts to a $153,856 profit (34% ROI). All things considered, I expect that I've actually run below expectation over that small sample of events and hope to turn a much higher ROI over the next 5 summers in Las Vegas.

My next poker stop is in The United Kingdom next Thursday as I'll be playing in a made for TV $20,000 buy-in sit-n-go called "Poker Lounge" which is put on by Full Tilt Poker in Wales. I'll apparently be playing with 5 Full Tilt pro's and it'll be winner take all for the $120,000. I'll be updating on Twitter if anyone wants to follow.

SS

No comments:

Post a Comment