Saturday, July 3, 2010

World Series of Poker! Updates on Twitter.

Also, while I did meet some fascinating people back in the real world, I also found that there are so few people who are extremely driven. I kind of like Holdem poker because I'll get to pick the people I interact with and can avoid otherwise annoying people I might come in contact with in the corporate world.

I'd considered sending out resumes upon graduating just to see what kind of work was out there, but obviously there are no jobs available anywhere, and my resume would be mostly blank :)

The majority of the time since I last posted has actually been playing poker. I put in probably 180 hours over 2.5 weeks, and the results were there. I captured an FTOPS title and $214,000 on a Wednesday night before I graduated. The win was my biggest and most memorable of my online poker tournaments career.

I stayed hot and won the $100 rebuy on Stars last Sunday night for $44,000 in the midst of the Pokerstars' SCOOP series. All told, the SCOOP itself was not a success as I turned a loser in those events despite cashing at a decent clip. Actually I final tabled some $100 SCOOP event and after 17 long hours of playing, I finished 8th and barely turned a profit on the day after busting some other events.

Well, the time has come once again for the World Series of Poker. It's hard to believe, but this will be my fifth consecutive summer in Vegas playing the slate of events. Earlier this week, my roommates and I checked into our summer rental house. It is, in a word, breathtaking.

The inevitable pain that comes from busting event after event will be eased by just how wonderful it'll be relaxing at this place. I'm really geared up for the series this year. I feel like I'm playing really well right now and I can really focus on poker now that I got school out of the way. Maybe this will be the year that I capture the bracelet that has to this point eluded me. As usual, I'll be playing 25+ events. In fact, there's only a handful of events on the schedule that I won't consider playing at all.

Most days there are events that start at Noon PDT and also at 5 p.m., so I'll play at 5 on any days where I bust the afternoon event. I expect to be playing 70 hour weeks for the next 6 weeks or so, but I know what I'm getting myself into, and I love it. It's pretty draining, but I like the idea of really grinding it out and pressing value for a couple months then hopefully not having to work very hard for the rest of the year.

I'm at a point where I just don't really have the drive to post tournament recaps of every tournament I play this summer as I've done in every year past. I will however be updating my twitter page, twitter.com/shannonshorr each break of every tournament that I play. It's just much easier that way. I'll still blog every now and then, I guess.

There isn't much more to say. Let the bliss, heartbreak, sleep deprivation, money chasing, unhealthy eating, unforgettable summer begin!

1 comment: